Thursday 22 June 2023

Twilight of the owls

I went to the Round Pond at sunset again, taking the Sony RX-10 camera to try out its 'Hand-held twilight' setting on the Little Owls. The results are quite good. I've lightened the images a little, but not too much. It was actually twilight and this is pretty much what I saw.

The adult male perched on top of the dead tree.


Then one of the owlets came out on to the end of the sawn-off branch ...



... and flew up to join its father.


The other owlet was high up in a horse chestnut tree, calling incessantly.

6 comments:

  1. God, what a lovely way to end the day. Life, in those moments, is good.
    Tinúviel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even the furiously protective male owl calmed down after a few shouts. We have known each other for a long time.

      Delete
  2. Wonderful photos Ralph. I missed seeing these 2 little cuties by just a couple of weeks. Thanks again for your help when I was in London earlier this month :) Herman

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry you were too early for the Little owlets. They are very special creatures.

      Delete
  3. ^[once again commenting in yesterday's entry]
    Coot was punching above its weight...
    Looks like a ragged female Blackcap to me.
    Tinúviel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could understand what's causing the problem you're having in commenting. Anyway, I have now completely gone over to the Yandex browser and everything is fine. All the things that had stopped working in Chromium and Firefox are now working properly, and it's a lot faster than either.

      Delete