Tuesday 20 June 2023

Owlets at dusk

After I had written today's post I went up to the Round Pond at sunset to see if I could find the Little owlets. And there they were at last. These pictures were taken in very low light, so they are of low quality.

One owlet was standing on the end of the sawn-off branch of the nest tree. As I approached it flew up into the horse chestnut and disappeared into the leaves.


Its father disapproved of my arrival and flew down from the horse chestnut to the top of the dead tree, where he shouted insults at me.


This brought out the other owlet to see what the fuss was about.


They both flew down to the branch and went into the hole.


But I don't think I disturbed them too badly, for as I left I could see them coming out and flying around.

11 comments:

  1. A new generation of Little Owls is pleasing to see.
    Sean

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my God, what a treat to end the day!
    Tinúviel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very pleasing. Now to find them in good daylight and get some decent pictures.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Let's hope we see more of them. And I have hopes of the Serpentine Gallery owls, though if they're in a lime it will be hard to see them.

      Delete
  4. I wandered over at9,30pm and had surprisingly had the same experience as Ralph.I was unexpectedly delighted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was there half an hour earlier, while photography was still just possible.

      Delete
  5. So delighted to see the owls! Fond memories of Ralph taking my family to see owlets last year

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're more difficult this year, but things may develop.

      Delete
  6. Nice to see owl chicks. I hope I might see them soon...
    Theodore

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try arriving at about 8.30 pm. Stay at a decent distance from the dead tree so as not to make them stay in.

      Delete