Sunday 25 June 2023

Mandarin duckling eats a dragonfly

All the Little owlets were silent on a hot afternoon, but I found one in the top of the sweet chestnut tree at the Serpentine Gallery.


The adult male at the Round Pond was on his usual branch in the small lime tree, which gives both him and me a good view.


The Peregrines were on the barracks tower. While I was photographing them the female took off.


A view of a male Blackcap directly overhead.


The Wren whose mate is nesting in the chestnut at the southeast corner of the leaf yard was dashing around outside the hole.


Bathing in Feral Pigeons would not be my choice of activity. I wonder whether the fleas transfer to humans.


The old Grey Heron at the Henry Moore sculpture was staying cool in the shade ...


... and so were the Egyptian Geese with five goslings at the boathouses.


The single Mandarin duckling on the Serpentine was with its mother, who was having a flap.


It wandered off, found a downed Black-Tailed Skimmer dragonfly. and ate it. I don't think it could catch one in the air, though I've seen a Little Grebe do this.


A cygnet led the Mute Swan procession.


A closer view of the single cygnet from the nest in the reed bed under the Diana fountain.


The fountains in the Italian Garden have broken down, giving the four Coot chicks in the northwest pool a new playground.


The seven on the southwest pool were milling around with their parents.


The Great Crested Grebe opposite Peter Pan was comfortably installed on the nest.


The Moorhen pair in the Dell still have possession of their favourite rock, as the Mallards are away.
 

A Meadow Brown butterfly drank from a Creeping Thistle flower.


Duncan Campbell found this caterpillar eating an oxeye daisy. It's a rather striking creature but he can't identify it, and neither can I.


Update: Haddock has identified it as a Chamomile Shark, Cucullia chamomillae. The caterpillar is very variable and sometimes also has pink marks.

10 comments:

  1. Google suggests a Chamomile Shark: Cucullia chamomillae

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I had tried that myself and rejected it because the picture that came up wasn't very like it, but I hadn't realised that the caterpillar is very variable. I've now found a picture that matches very closely, and it's clear you're right.

      Delete
    2. I thought that the plant was a chamomile, not a daisy, that gave me a clue.
      I'm better at identifying fish.

      Delete
    3. I'm hopeless at both plants and fish, and not much good at insects.

      Delete
  2. it's a really beautiful caterpillar. I sometimes find them more aesthetic that the final butterfly itself.
    How old are the owlets, I wonder?
    Tinúviel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. About six weeks, I think, as they can fly reasonably well.

      Delete
  3. I would imagine the tourists infect the pigeons, not the other way around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never seen him before, but that degree of weirdness suggests a local rather than a tourist.

      Delete
  4. Interesting to see the juvenile Mandarin eating the dragonfly.

    That's a very smart caterpillar. I thought it was a Chamomile Shark caterpillar though haven't seen one.

    The Meadow Brown is on Creeping Thistle rather than a Knapweed, though they are related.

    ReplyDelete