Wednesday 11 January 2023

A tiny expedition

Today, after nine days off my feet, I managed to totter out to the Flower Walk, feeling weak and wobbly but hugely cheered to be getting about once more. I took the small camera, which is the most I can carry with my back still mending, and got a few pictures. They are very ordinary, but I was so pleased to be operating again that I'm going to put them up here.

Please don't stop sending pictures: I'm not going to be getting far for quite a while and, without the superb quality of the big lens, am not going to get any worthwhile long shots.

The small birds saw me coming and came out in the yellow-stemmed bushes which are one of their usual feeding stations, first a Great Tit ...


... then more and some Blue Tits.


A Coal Tit joined the party in an evergreen bush a bit farther along ...


... and so did a Jay.


The usual other birds were present as well, though I didn't get pictures of them. Here, photographed by Duncan Campbell in the corkscrew hazel, are the male Chaffinch of the familiar pair ...


... and a Robin which, unlike the aggressively territorial one near Queen's Gate, lets the other birds perch in its bush.


Joan Chatterley photographed a Starling. These fast ravenous birds often make feeding the smaller species difficult as they dive-bomb your hand painfully, often drawing blood with their sharp beaks.


Also by Joan, a Magpie waiting patiently in the border for a peanut.


The last three pictures are by Ahmet Amerikali, who has been watching the Little Grebe in the Italian Garden.


It's not just associating with Gadwalls now. The Mallards are realising the advantages of cooperation.


Has any reader seen a Little Grebe in a symbiotic relationship with ducks? If not, I might venture a letter to British Birds.

The Cormorants are still finding a few fish under the parapet of the Italian Garden. Here a perch sees the last light of day.

12 comments:

  1. Good to hear you are up and about. Hopefully if the little grebe has come to an arrangement with the other residents of the Italian Gardens, it may stay a while.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done! (but go easy, obvs.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I couldn't have gone farther, I was getting tired. Nine days of slump really takes the stuffing out of you.

      Delete
    2. Happens astoundingly quickly, doesn't it. But onwards & upwards.

      Delete
  3. Wonderful to hear you are back on your feet. Some fine photos too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shan't be going far for a while. But oh, the relief of getting out.

      Delete
  4. It must have been such a happy experience to have the small birds pop in to greet and welcome you! But please do take it easy. I hope you aren't the worse for wear today.
    That letter to British Birds ought to be ventured. Definitely.
    Tinúviel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was glorious to have the small birds back.

      I'd better write to the editor of BB first, as it might unknown to me be a common phenomenon.

      Delete
  5. Great to hear you're able to get out Ralph. It must've been a relief to venture through the garden today!

    Hope to bump into the you again in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly was. Still only making brief forays.

      Delete