Thursday, 13 August 2026

Birds feeling the heat

On a hot afternoon a Grey Heron and a Cormorant at the Serpentine island panted rapidly to cool down.


Canada Geese, Tufted Duck and Coots shared a patch of shade at the Triangle.


A Feral Pigeon was flat out on the grass. I don't think they're enjoying the warmth for its own sake. I think the heat brings their fleas and lice to the surface so that they can be preened off.


A Song Thrush near Peter Pan was feeling hot.


The tatty Robin in a shady bush in the Flower Walk was as keen as ever for pine nuts, and came out both times I passed.


Starlings enjoyed a splash together on the edge of the Dell restaurant terrace wile they waited to raid a table.


After bathing a Starling shook itself dry and preened in the willow at the Dell restaurant.


The female Little Owl at the Serpentine Gallery was in a lime tree. 


Two visits showed owlets in two different places ...


... but actually both seem to be the female, which had moved while I was away.


A Peregrine was alone on the barracks tower. This time it was the male, as you can see from the dingy colour of the stripe on the side of its face.


Pigeon Eater had eaten enough of his latest kill and was preening on the resturant roof. His mate had had her share and was resting in the water. The scanty remains were being finished by a young Herring Gull with a peculiar pink plastic ring that I have never seen before.


The heron in the Italian Garden had caught a large fish just before I arrived, and was standing still in the irises as it digested its meal.


I didn't see any of the Great Crested Grebe families, which was disappointing but a sign that they are being kept in secluded safe places. There was a pair by the bridge. The female shook out her feathers to settle them.


The three Moorhen chicks under the willow by the bridge squeaked plaintively as they swam about. They are now feeding themselves and not begging, but the call helps their parents to know where they are.


The Mute Swan 4DVZ took her cygnets past Fisherman's Keep.


A male Emperor dragonfly resting on an iris in the Italian Garden was very tattered but still airworthy.


Black-Tailed Skimmers prefer the spikes of the sun-warmed iron railings.

3 comments:

  1. I was delighted to see the Grebe family with 2 chicks to the east of the island. While I was there a parent brought a fish which stopped one of the chicks squeaking for a short time

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it fascinating with the panting biology of birds controlling their internal temperature! Breathing in air at an excessive rate to brush over internal organs and create a chemistry mix. Evolution is too dam good at times.

    Pigeon Eaters likes to always eat the heads of his victims! Maybe this is why he has such a big brain on him, cognitive indigestion from rats with wings.
    Sean

    ReplyDelete