Wednesday 6 February 2013


A chilly day with a strong breeze. The Bearded Tits continued to feed unperturbed as the reed heads flailed about.


A pair of Little Grebes is often to be seen under the willow tree near the bridge. One of them caught a fish by the tail.


Having given it a good shake to stun it, the bird then had to turn the fish round so it could be swallowed head first. It is not clear how it does this, but somehow it manages to walk its bill up the length of the fish, and I think it is using its tongue to help the manoeuvre.


There was nothing else unusual to be seen, apart from a solitary Redwing in the leaf yard, too distant to get a picture. The last two years have not been good ones for Redwings in the park. One of their habitual places, the open grassy area to the west of the Albert Memorial, has been wrecked by the constant building of hideous giant marquees for commercial exhibitions, another of which is going up at the moment. And the archery field in the northwest corner of Kensington Gardens, where Redwings also gather, has been mostly dug up, evidently in an effort to improve the grass.

There are several pairs of Ring-Necked Parakeets in and around the leaf yard. At least they squawk more quietly when they are with their mates. If you feed one of these birds a peanut, when it has finished this it may decide to move on to the meat course.


A pigeon which has dropped in, hoping for some leavings, looks on without sympathy.

3 comments:

  1. My sympathy with the Parakete bite! I had another from a squirrel last w/e; an occupational hazard, I guess, but I also think I am beginning to understand how to avoid this discouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've still got a scar from a Parakeet bite that I suffered back in December from your birds Raplh, was worth it though just to get a lovely close up view of these photogenic birds. I know they're not everyones cup of tea, but they're here to stay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That wasn't my hand, it was the hand of the distinguished ornithologist Martin Garner, whom I met in the park when he was taking a walk round before giving a lecture at the Lookout. He wanted to feed the parakeets, and that was the welcome they gave him. I went to the lecture afterwards, which was excellent.

    ReplyDelete