Wednesday 27 January 2016

The Black Swan is back in his usual place at the east end of the Serpentine. He was going around with his girlfriend's 'brother' (who may actually be female too), but his girlfriend was elsewhere.


Relations between them seemed a bit cool in the days before he disappeared. But swans are moody creatures.

A Mute Swan was having a vigorous wash. They open their bills when washing, which makes them look happy, though this may be an illusion.


The white Mallard drake, who had also been away, is back too and was at the Dell restaurant, where some people were feeding the ducks.


Both Pochard--Tufted Duck hybrids were on the Long Water. I think this is the same two, clearly sisters, that we first saw three years ago, but this is the first time I've seen them together since then.


Originally one had a larger patch of white beside her bill, but now their markings are very similar. One is slightly lighter than the other.


Several of the Black-Headed Gulls on the Serpentine are now in breeding plumage, with a dark brown (not black) head and dramatically beetroot-coloured bill and feet.


This is the Carrion Crow beside the Serpentine that flies over my head and bashes me if I don't feed it quickly.


The Wren at the Queen's Gate crossing of the Flower Walk came out when I was talking to some people and foraged unconcernedly under the railings.


A Great Tit saw me walking across Buck Hill and landed on a tree stump in front of me to make sure I noticed her and produced some pine nuts.


Tom Bell took this fine picture of a Song Thrush pulling up a worm in the leaf yard.

8 comments:

  1. We're planning to go back to London just to visit again Hyde Park and Kensington Gardens and see their celebrity birds! Amazing pictures, and no less wonderful commentary, as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please tell me when you'll be there. It would be a pleasure to show you round the current sights.

      Delete
    2. I saw a black swan in St James's yesterday when ours wasn't to be seen. Do they have one of their own or could it have been ours on an excursion?

      Delete
    3. We're aiming for next August - I will most certainly let you know beforehand. It would be such a wonderful pleasure to meet you. My husband is every bit as great a fan of your blog as I am, only he is substantially more timid and tends not to comment :-)

      Delete
    4. Yes, there is a Black Swan in St James's Park, part of the captive collection and it can't fly. There were two, but I am told that one was killed by a fox.

      Delete
  2. Are there ANY captive birds at Hyde Park or are they all wild?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. None, I'm very glad to say. All the birds are here because they want to be.

      Delete
  3. And rightly so. I don't think having captive birds is good or as good as having wild ones!

    ReplyDelete